I’d seen this simple recipe a million times but until I started Piyo I just dismissed it; why would I want to eat “ice cream” made from bananas? Now that I’m focused on clean eating & working out hard, I get it: I’m dedicated to the Piyo food plan and, after being at it for 1.5 weeks, I am starting to feel the need for a few treats here and there. Woman cannot live on Healthy Green Smoothies alone – sometimes, she needs ice cream.
You won’t believe how amazing this is, and how easy, and how healthy. Oh, and also, how variable – see below for optional add-ins to make this a real treat!
- 2 Fruits (Tip: Simply eat half of this recipe for a 1 Fruit treat, and put the other half in the freezer for another day!)
- One banana, sliced into 1/4″ chunks and frozen for at least 24 hours
Put your frozen banana into the food processor and pulse for approximately 30-60 seconds. If your chunks get stuck in the blades, carefully remove them with a spatula and keep pulsing. Be careful, because after awhile the heat from the processor will start to melt the ice cream! Blend until smooth. Eat the whole portion for a 2-fruit treat, or for a 1-fruit count put the other half into a container & freeze for later.
Delicious (optional) flavor combos:
- Mint Chocolate Chip: a few drops of peppermint oil with a handful of dairy-free dark chocolate chips and pulse in the food processor for 10-15 seconds. [Piyo Count: 1 tsp chocolate chips = 1 Fat]
- Cherry Vanilla (Chocolate Chip): add a few frozen cherries and a few drops of vanilla and pulse. Optional: throw in a few chocolate chunks for a “Cherry Garcia” treat! [Piyo Count: 1 & ¼ Cups cherries = 1 fruit, 1 tsp chocolate chips = 1 Fat]
- Chocolate Coconut: add unsweetened coconut flakes and a tablespoon or two of unsweetened cocoa powder
- Chocolate Peanut Butter: Add a tablespoon or two of unsweetened cocoa powder and a teaspoon of peanut butter (or other nut butter). [Piyo Count: 1 tsp nut/seed butter = 1 fat]